Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Peja is a Raptor.   Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Toronto gets Peja and Jerryd Bayless for Jarrett Jack, Marcus Banks and David Andersen going to New Orleans.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Female Posts : 10793

PostSubject: Re: Peja is a Raptor.   Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:53 am

Yo Adrien! wrote:
I really don't like that he's the 3rd guy off the bench and the 2nd reserve guard. I don't know if minutes should be taken away from Calderon, though. This is considering how many minutes Reggie Evans gets. He is a terrible liability offensively, but you can disguise that when you have a good pick and roll passing point guard on the court. The same goes for Derozan, because he works at a lot better off the ball when he can be found in the passing lanes.

However, I do think that Bayless should be getting a lot more minutes in the near future. Whenever Calderon is off the court, he should be the point guard. Barbosa running the team is pretty much the equivalent of having no one run the team. Bayless isn't really the type of point guard that makes plays for teammates off the dribble, but from what I've seen, he makes smart passes that keeps the ball rotating to open areas of the court.

If Calderon continues to be the Raptors' starter, we can expect to see the starting lineup to remain the same as well. So it will look like this (with appox minutes):

Calderon
Weems
DeRozan
Evans
Bargnani

The 5 guys coming off the bench then would be i(n order of how much they'll be used):

Johnson
Bayless
Kleiza
Barbosa
Stojakovic

Now, there are players on this team that can get themselves their own points. Those are the types of players you want on the court with Bayless. Guys like Kleiza, Barbosa, Bargnani, and Weems can play well without a point guard who looks to pass. You can also get a little use out of Bayless as a shooting guard alongside Calderon. I'd like to see him start getting 20+ minutes a night coming off the bench. I don't really want him to jump into the starting lineup immediately. He needs to adjust to this team a little, and adjust to becoming a true point guard first.

In my eyes, the best lineup that Bayless could be out on the court with is:

Bayless
Barbosa
Weems
Kleiza
Bargnani

It would also make sense to move Johnson into either the PF or C spot in the lineup, because he'd fit alright as well. What the Raptors could really use at this point is a center who can come in and work the post when the bench is on the floor. Lineups consisting of Bargnani/Johnson, Kleiza/Bargnani, and Kleiza/Johnson just won't get the job done. Alabi might be able to step in, but it'd be better if they could get someone who's proven themselves at least a little bit. I like how Bayless fits in with this team, though. Both coming in and after the first game, I've liked the position he'll be put in when he's on the court.

I've kind of grown to like Bayless, so I'll be rooting for and paying attention to the Raptors a little more from now on. I've always liked Evans, and am starting to pay more attention to Weems and Johnson as well. I'm just looking for Bayless to show what he can do in consistent minutes. He's always been a backup with better players in front of him (always on playoff team), so this is his first chance to take a larger role. So far he's done well.

Bayless is growing on me as well and yes, he does seem like a nice fit for the Raptors.
I guess it is a better idea for him to play more games with them before he is offered a starting position. Still, I am confident that he could be a good starter for them when the time comes.

I agree with everything you said above...it is just that I would not trust Johnson playing centre because my issue with him is that he easily gets himself into foul trouble (cause his defense consists of hacking...err) and that won't cut it against the elite centres in the league...even the centres that aren't necessarily elite but still pretty good.

Otherwise, good to hear that you will be watching more Raptor games. haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Peja is a Raptor.   Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:37 pm

everyone used to say "lol" before i started "hahaha"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: Peja is a Raptor.   Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:05 pm

Yeah, but the Raptors have no other big man option off the bench. Johnson is the only one, lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Female Posts : 10793

PostSubject: Re: Peja is a Raptor.   Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:18 pm

Unfortunately, that is the case.

Solomon Alabi and Ed Davis (apparently he is PF though) are currently playing in the D-League for now. So, yup Amir Johnson as the centre coming off the bench...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: Peja is a Raptor.   Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:41 pm

5 star Baller wrote:

Really?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chosen One
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 3316

PostSubject: Re: Peja is a Raptor.   Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:46 pm

I Like It wrote:

Solomon Alabi and Ed Davis (apparently he is PF though) are currently playing in the D-League for now. So, yup Amir Johnson as the centre coming off the bench...

Sucks for the Raps

Ed Davis was supposed to be able to at least replace what they lost in Bosh (who played well as a rap)

An now he is in the D-League
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rush
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 3758

PostSubject: Re: Peja is a Raptor.   Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:07 pm

PUNJABI!!!! (Devlin Reference).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

PostSubject: Re: Peja is a Raptor.   Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:58 am

Defense! wrote:
5 star Baller wrote:

Really?
yep...just sayin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

PostSubject: Re: Peja is a Raptor.   Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:02 am

Chosen One wrote:
I Like It wrote:

Sucks for the Raps

Ed Davis was supposed to be able to at least replace what they lost in Bosh (who played well as a rap)

An now he is in the D-League
Thats weird because bosh is like opposite of davis. Davis isnt offensively polished but trys hard as hell on D...not saying he's that good at it....but like basically his offense is a No-go..and its not like he's raw..he doesnt even have the footwork or the mindset to score the ball.....plus he's unproven It was an overall terrible pick by toronto...IMO a guy like luke harringody (52nd pick) could have the same impact as davis and they could have gotten a PG at the 13th
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Peja is a Raptor.   

Back to top Go down

Peja is a Raptor.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2