HomeHome  FAQFAQ  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  CalendarCalendar  

Share | 

Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Abdul™
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 2595

PostSubject: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

So I was watching the Clipper game last night, and they showed Blake Griffin's stats compared to other top big men's stats... And the only players with slightly better stats were Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard. This got me thinking; is Blake Griffin one of the best big men in the league already? I for one think he is top 5 already. I mean, just look at this kid's stats: 20.7ppg, 11.6 rpg, 2.7 apg, and shooting 53.1%. Now you tell me that isn’t a top 5 big man in the game... And no rookie has averaged 20/10 in a decade; the last rookie to do that was Elton Brand. I wouldn’t be surprise if Blake won roy AND made the all star game. Last player to do that was… Shaq?

Blake Griffin is the definition of Beast, a one-of-a-kind talent that has made the CLIPPERS a team worth watching. Averaging 20/11 shooting 50%+ and leading the league in dunks… Blake is probably the 2nd hardest player (Behind Dwight ofc) to guard in the paint; Due to his combination of strength, explosiveness and aggressiveness. You just can’t guard him 1 on 1 in the paint( Dwight probably can though), he’ll simply blow past you with his speed or overpower you and finish strong at the rim. Facing up from the mid-post, Griffin’s quickness and fluidity makes him an absolute nightmare to try and stay in front of. Even when he gets fouled around the rim, or is unable to simply throw down a powerful dunk, he’s often able to convert regardless thanks to his excellent touch and massive hands.

Now don’t get too caught up in his crazy athleticism and sick dunks, he can do more than that, unlike Amar’e. Griffin has been an absolute monster on the glass, with 11rpg and nearly 8 defensive rebounds per game and is ranked #2 in the NBA in double – doubles. His ball handling is very impressive for a guy 6’10, 250 lbs...He has the ability to grab a defensive rebound, initiate the fast break, and drive hard to the rim where all the opponent can do is foul. When he does that he is basically a 6’10 LeBron James.

Now I already know someone is going to try to bash his defense… Defensively, Griffin relies too much on his physical tools. He often gambles for steals, and gives up position too easily on the block (to avoid fouls?), but there is no doubt in me that he should be able to develop into an excellent defender in time if he wants to thanks to his physical tools, and work ethic. The only part of his game that I don’t like is his free throw shooting. Shooting 50 something percent from the free throw line isn’t going to get it done... But then again I have no doubt in me that he’ll improve his free throw shooting due to his work ethic and winner mentality.

Wait, I almost forgot to talk about his jump shot *face palm*. Blake’s jumper seems to improve every game. He has a nice 10 – 18 ft jumper. . His mechanics are solid, with a nice release and follow-through, and the ability to use the glass in like Duncan. Once he develops a consistent jumper, he will just be ungaurdable.

Now I’ll finally post my top 5 big men of this season. Keep in mind that this list is based solely off of these players’ performance THIS SEASON. So I don’t want to hear any bs about what a guy did last year or through out his career.

My top 5 big men of this season:

1. Pau Gasol – Averaging 20.4 ppg, 12 rpg, 4.0 apg, 2.0 bpg, shooting 53% from the field and 82% from the ft line. Gasol is having his best season by far. He is an mvp candidate for most people and some even go far enough to say he is the mvp of the Lakers right now. When he struggles, LA struggles; which is exactly the case with LA right now.

2. Dwight Howard – Averaging 21.3 ppg, 12.1 rpg, 2.4 bpg, and shooting 58%. Dwight’s offensive game has seen major improvements this season... as he leads ORL to another top seeded season. He’s in the talks for mvp… it was really a toss up between him and Gasol.

3. Dirk Nowitzki - Averaging 25ppg, 8 rpg, shooting 53% from the field, 85% from the ft line, and 37% from 3pt. Dirk is by far the best scoring/shooting big man in the game… having another mvp caliber season. Was kinda tricky putting on here, if this was a top 5 pf list he would probably be ahead of Gasol.

4. Blake Griffin – 20.7ppg, 11.6 rpg, 2.7 apg, and shooting 53.1%. I think talked enough about how good he is lol.

5. Kevin Love – 18.6 ppg, 15 rpg, 43% shooting. The best rebounder in the NBA… he also had a 30/30 game. Nuff said.

Honorable mentions:

Amar’e Stoudemire, Tim Duncan , Chris Bosh, David Lee, Paul Milsap, David West.

So yea... There are only 3 other big men who are “better” than Griffin right now. And If I were starting a franchise I would choose Griffin over all these guys… except for Dwight maybe. But this is all my opinion, I want to hear what you guys think
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
Abdul™
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:47 pm

I love how people keep bringing up the fact that LAC loss that game despite Griffin's performance and completely ignore the fact that the Clippers are a shitty team.. Kobe, LeBron, Wade, ect have all had games where they put up amazing stats and still lost the game while playing on a shitty team... and no1 ever said "they aren't leading their team".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:57 pm

dude..your fucking stupid..EVERYBODY likes blake griffin! youir tryna say people just wanna be down on him? no..thats not the case..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Abdul™
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:37 pm

People keep saying he "isn't leading a team anywhere", which I think is just stupid to say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:07 pm

He isn't leading them anywhere...the Clippers are one of the worst teams in the NBA so clearly they're not being led to anything...sure he's putting up some of the best individual numbers in the league and is beasting every game he plays, but he's not leading the Clippers to any success.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:14 pm

They need Vinny Del Negro to organize them better

They have everything what they need for success

-A solid All Star center in Kaman

-A beast in Blake Griffin

-Nice defense,rebounding and scoring from Aminu at the SF spot

-Eric Gordon,who is the team's go through guy

-Eric Bladsoe,a superb young point guard
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 5401

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:34 pm

go through guy?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:40 pm

he meant go-to-guy/no. 1 scorer/no. 1 option

SG Aaron Afflalo
PG Ramon Sessions
6. F Matt Barnes
7. G Norris Cole
8. G/F Xavier Henry
9. C Omar Asik
10. C Hamed Haddidi
11. G Jordan Hamilton
12. G Darius Morris
--------------------------------
This is what Raza chooses to do with his mod powers:
[01:07:13] @ Raza : /molests the fuck outta john
Back to top Go down
View user profile
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Male Posts : 12288

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:55 pm

I don't understand why people are docking Blake's performances because his team isn't winning....
He's a ROOKIE....you can't expect him to lead them to victories....
The leading should be left to Baron or Eric or maybe even Kaman...
Don't put that on Blake's shoulders.....do that in like 3 or 4 yrs....not right now...

Durant put up major stats and his team sucked balls too...ya know...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:35 pm

GRIFFIN FOR ROY!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 8780

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:23 pm

YS wrote:
I don't understand why people are docking Blake's performances because his team isn't winning....
He's a ROOKIE....you can't expect him to lead them to victories....
The leading should be left to Baron or Eric or maybe even Kaman...
Don't put that on Blake's shoulders.....do that in like 3 or 4 yrs....not right now...

Durant put up major stats and his team sucked balls too...ya know...

But when you're talking about best players, best big men, best PG's, etc. etc. one of those things that factors in should be leadership-- rookie or 12 year vet.

I agree that people shouldn't stress it as much as some are, but it should be in there at least a little.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:52 pm

I'm not bringing up the leadership to judge him as a big man, I'm bringing up the leadership because somebody said he's leading the Clippers to big things...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Abdul™
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:11 pm

No one said that Raza... stop talking outta ur ass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:02 pm

Rebirth™ wrote:
It'll be hard for him to turn around such a shitty team.. But ya, he'll do it... just wait.

Idk if you're talking about this year or future years but he isn't leading the Clips anywhere this year...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Abdul™
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:38 pm

I was obviously talking about sometime in the future... quit trippin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Blake is a beast player. but leadership is definetly a category in which talent is judged. blake isnt scoring very high in that category so its bringing down his overall rank. Thats all everyone is saying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:34 am

Rebirth™ wrote:
I was obviously talking about sometime in the future... quit trippin

Sooner or later,he will develop that skill.It takes time
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:22 am

Can't say that for sure. I can name plenty of guys who wouldve been great had they learned that skill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    

Back to top Go down

Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2