View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Male Posts : 14149

PostSubject: First Quarter Awards   Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:23 pm

* I know not everyone has played 21 games yet, but I won't have time to do this later so I did it now.. and it probably wouldn't change much in the next week. Also, I'm aware that it's too early to pick awards... but these are the awards for the first quarter of the season IMO!

MVP: Deron Williams, Utah Jazz.

He’s probably playing the best basketball of his career so far this season and it’s translating into wins for the Utah Jazz. He has repeatedly dug the Jazz out of deep holes and continues to come up big when the Jazz need him most.

*Other MVP candidates so far: Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks and Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic.

DPOY: Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic

He’s the best defender on the best defensive team [in terms of point allowed] in the league. He’s also one of the better defenders in the league… obviously.

*Other DPOY candidates so far: Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Milwaukee Bucks and Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics.

MIP: Michael Beasley, Minnesota Timberwolves.

A lot of people were writing him off as a bust after 2 seasons in Miami. But this year, he’s proving that he is the same player people were drooling over when he played in Kansas State. He isn’t getting the rebounds he did in college, but that’s because his teammate Kevin Love is getting all of them. But he is doing a much better job scoring the basketball and he looks comfortable playing basketball again.

*Other MIP candidates so far: Eric Gordon, Los Angeles Clippers.

6th Man: Wilson Chandler, New York Knicks.

He has been a huge spark off the bench for the Knicks and seems to play better off the bench than in the starting line-up. He has done a lot to help the knicks stay in the playoff race early in the season.

*Other 6th Man candidates so far: Jason Terry, Dallas Mavericks and Jamal Crawford, Atlanta Hawks.

ROY: Blake Griffin, Los Angeles Clippers.

No, the Clippers aren’t winning games, but the ROY award is more of a stat award. Blake Griffin has been putting up great numbers and has been making jaws drop around the world with his dunks. John Wall could be here, but he’s missed a few games with injuries and has been a little inconsistent.

*Other ROY candidates so far: John Wall, Washington Wizards.

COY: Gregg Popovic, San Antonio Spurs.

A lot of coaches can be mentioned for this award so far, but I don’t think anyone really expected the Spurs to start off the season THIS good.

*Other COY candidates so far: Monty Williams, New Orleans Hornets, Jerry Sloan, Utah Jazz, Doc Rivers, Boston Celtics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:33 pm

Interesting list.Good choices
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 5401

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:36 pm

I'd probably swap Deron with Dwight in the MVP. And Rondo out of the DPOY.

Other than that it's pretty good. COY is a very close battle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Abdul™
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 2595

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:52 pm

I agree with just about all of that.. except maybe switch Greg with Monty Williams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:58 pm

Team of the year: Dallas

MIP:russel westbrook

MVP:Deron williams

6th man:Jason terry

ROY:BOTH.Blake is having the better statistical year but john is close enough and the wins have to put him right there.

COY:Rick carlisie

Dpoy:Javale mcgee! Nobody blocks shots like this guy..plus he's a good man to man defender and slowed dwight this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:08 pm

I thought about including Westbrook for MIP... but he's not really THAT improved.. He's turning the ball over more that he did last year, his FG% still isn't that great, and the only reason why he's averaging more points is because he's shooting the ball a lot more and getting a lot more calls, so he gets to the line a lot. Improved? yeah, but not more than others imo cuz he's still kinda the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:10 pm

I think westbrook is totally different. More mentally then anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:16 pm

Mentally yeah.. but not talent wise. He's basically the same kind of player.. most of his points come in the paint/on the line/15-17 foot jump shots. It's been that way since he was a rookie... his FG% is improving cuz he's not taking the shots he can't make anymore.

but he has gotten better overall.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:17 pm

actually isn't it shocking that he's leading the league in ft's made?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:18 pm

He goes to the hole probably more than anybody...so not surprising..but I did think it would be a guy like kobe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 5078

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:44 am

WTF...I do agree with everything but Beasley. He's definitely my second choice behind...

his own teammate, Kevin Love. I mean, I know Beasley has improved by a lot and you can tell by just watching him that he's improved. But in Miami he played in a system where he was often the 2nd or 3rd option on offense when he wasn't used to that, and as a result he wasn't putting up stellar numbers. Now, in Minnesota, he's actually the first option on offense and as a result he IS putting up stellar numbers. Beastley always had the talent and skill to put up numbers like he is this year. But he just wasn't in the right system.

On the other hand, Kevin Love has been in the same system his whole career and while his scoring has improved from 14 to 18, the real improvement has obviously been his rebounding. Now, I know he still sucks at post D and man-to-man defense in general, but the dude gets it done on the glass. I don't care who you are - I have to admit, even I didn't think that Kevin Love would be grabbing boards at the rate he is now - the play of Kevin Love has me wondering if the Timberwolves were a winning team, the MVP considerations he would receive. At this point, he's a long way from being an MVP, but when you grab 15 boards a game and get it done everywhere else - 3 point shooting (he's made his last 8 attempts in his last two games), offensive rebounding, defensive rebounding, passing, post moves, you name it, - it's hard for me not to see Kevin Love as the Most Improved Player this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:27 am

Who I think the voters would have 1, 2, and 3:

MVP - Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard, Deron Williams. Dirk is the clear best player on the league's 2nd best team to this point. Dwight and Deron are the clear best on very good teams as well. Honorable mention to the trios in Boston and San Antonio.

DPOY - Dwight Howard, Joakim Noah, Josh Smith. Double digit rebounds and more than a block and a steal each per game. Only two players are doing that right now. Noah and Howard. Three and a half steals plus blocks per game. Only two players are doing that right now. Smith and Howard. Honorable mention to Chris Paul who is averaging 3 steals per game.

MIP - No idea how I'd rank my top 5. Raymond Felton, Eric Gordon, Michael Beasley, Paul Millsap, Kevin Love. Felton and Millsap are doing it on winning teams, so I'd favor them, but I don't think the voters will. Only if it means more media attention throughout the year.

6th man - Wilson Chandler, Jason Terry, Jamal Crawford. This one is pretty obvious. Even if other 6th men were more deserving than Crawford this year, none of there names are recognizable enough to get more attention than him. Honorable mention to Glen Davis and Wesley Matthews.

ROY - Blake Griffin, John Wall, and...Landry Fields. Griffin has a clear edge after Wall missed 6 games, but his chances to win it are still good. Fields is the best of the rest.

COY - Monty Williams, Greg Popovich, Mike D'Antoni. The Hornets have cooled off after their hot start, but all they have to do is make the playoffs for Williams to be a contender. He's a new coach of a troubled team (now owned by the NBA) that was 8 games under .500 last year. The Spurs are playing over what most thought their capabilities were, and it seems the Knicks have finally turned things around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:30 pm

Jason Terrys name is extremely recognizable.

SG Aaron Afflalo
PG Ramon Sessions
6. F Matt Barnes
7. G Norris Cole
8. G/F Xavier Henry
9. C Omar Asik
10. C Hamed Haddidi
11. G Jordan Hamilton
12. G Darius Morris
--------------------------------
This is what Raza chooses to do with his mod powers:
[01:07:13] @ Raza : /molests the fuck outta john
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Abdul™
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 2595

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:55 pm

No Longer DEAD wrote:
WTF...I do agree with everything but Beasley. He's definitely my second choice behind...

his own teammate, Kevin Love. I mean, I know Beasley has improved by a lot and you can tell by just watching him that he's improved. But in Miami he played in a system where he was often the 2nd or 3rd option on offense when he wasn't used to that, and as a result he wasn't putting up stellar numbers. Now, in Minnesota, he's actually the first option on offense and as a result he IS putting up stellar numbers. Beastley always had the talent and skill to put up numbers like he is this year. But he just wasn't in the right system.

On the other hand, Kevin Love has been in the same system his whole career and while his scoring has improved from 14 to 18, the real improvement has obviously been his rebounding. Now, I know he still sucks at post D and man-to-man defense in general, but the dude gets it done on the glass. I don't care who you are - I have to admit, even I didn't think that Kevin Love would be grabbing boards at the rate he is now - the play of Kevin Love has me wondering if the Timberwolves were a winning team, the MVP considerations he would receive. At this point, he's a long way from being an MVP, but when you grab 15 boards a game and get it done everywhere else - 3 point shooting (he's made his last 8 attempts in his last two games), offensive rebounding, defensive rebounding, passing, post moves, you name it, - it's hard for me not to see Kevin Love as the Most Improved Player this year.

I think it'll be a close race between Love and Beasly.. But Love averaged like 14/11 off the bench last season... I kinda expected him to play this good once he got starter minutes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:58 pm

"But Love averaged like 14/11 off the bench last season... I kinda expected him to play this good once he got starter minutes."

That's why I didn't pick Love. Everyone knew he could put up huge numbers if he got the minutes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:51 pm

cbi wrote:

I wasn't clear there. I meant that after Chandler and Terry, no one would supplant Crawford because of unrecognizable names. Crawford was 3rd, Terry 2nd, and Chandler 1st.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John14
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 3251

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:52 pm

I agree with your list exactly..if i had to make a list,it would be simalar to yours...Smile...good job
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:04 pm

Chandler is playing strong
Back to top Go down
View user profile
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Male Posts : 12288

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:12 pm

MVP: I actually would've put Dwight in here had he not missed the couple of games with the flu. Can't go wrong with Deron though....

DPOY: Dwight. Shout-out to KG too as he's seems to be back to his old form.....atleast on defense

MIP: I agree...Beasley

6th man: I would go with Jason Terry because the Mavs have one of the best records right now. And didn't Mike D'Antoni plug Wilson Chandler into the starting lineup a couple of games ago?

ROY: Blake Griffin. He's putting up big numbers consistently. Wall's just been too inconsistent for me...and points off for missing a couple of games. Close race though...no doubt.

COY: IDK. You can go with Greg. You can also go with Tim Thibodeau...no mentioned him....just thought I'd throw him out there...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 8780

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:50 am

Dwight Howard for MVP, DPOY, and MIP.

lmao.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:25 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:49 am

Saeed wrote:
Dwight Howard for MVP, DPOY, and MIP.

lmao.
lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EM:)
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:37 pm

YS wrote:
MVP: I actually would've put Dwight in here had he not missed the couple of games with the flu. Can't go wrong with Deron though....

DPOY: Dwight. Shout-out to KG too as he's seems to be back to his old form.....atleast on defense

MIP: I agree...Beasley

6th man: I would go with Jason Terry because the Mavs have one of the best records right now. And didn't Mike D'Antoni plug Wilson Chandler into the starting lineup a couple of games ago?

ROY: Blake Griffin. He's putting up big numbers consistently. Wall's just been too inconsistent for me...and points off for missing a couple of games. Close race though...no doubt.

COY: IDK. You can go with Greg. You can also go with Tim Thibodeau...no mentioned him....just thought I'd throw him out there...

That's just temporary Chandler in the starting lineup. When Mozgov lost his starting position @ C to Turiaf, Chandler was still on the bench. Turiaf has played well when he's healthy but missed a string of games due to minor injuries. It's during these DNP's that Amar'e is played @ C and Chandler fills in the starting role left by a recooperating Turiaf @ PF. This marks the 3rd time this season Turiaf misses a couple of games. Whenever he comes back in full game form Chandler is placed back on the bench. Terry on the other hand has also started his fair share of games. I've seen Carlisle alternate Terry, Stevenson, and Marion into the starting lineup this season. Chandler has started in 7 games and Terry has started in 5. Both are more than worthy at this point for 6th Man of year. But, Chandler does more than Terry when he's on the court: he rebounds, defends, and gets blocks. Not to mention he's leading sixth men in scoring so far this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:01 pm

Yo Adrien! wrote:
cbi wrote:

I wasn't clear there. I meant that after Chandler and Terry, no one would supplant Crawford because of unrecognizable names. Crawford was 3rd, Terry 2nd, and Chandler 1st.
ohhh. makes way more sense now lol

SG Aaron Afflalo
PG Ramon Sessions
6. F Matt Barnes
7. G Norris Cole
8. G/F Xavier Henry
9. C Omar Asik
10. C Hamed Haddidi
11. G Jordan Hamilton
12. G Darius Morris
--------------------------------
This is what Raza chooses to do with his mod powers:
[01:07:13] @ Raza : /molests the fuck outta john
Back to top Go down
View user profile
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 8873

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:24 pm

I agree with this list. I like the fact that Deron Williams is MVP completely agree with that. I think Dirk Nowitzki follows him as 2nd in the MVP race right now as well

I think Jerry Sloan is the Coach of the Year thus far as well.

For the most improved player list I'd add Pacers Center Roy Hibbert up there. Infact I think Roy Hibbert is the most improved player in the NBA thus far.

I think Joakim Noah should be on the candidates list for DPOY too. He's the 2nd leading rebounder in the NBA at 12.5 RPG and also averages 1.5 blocks per game.

Also in the ROY race I think Landry Fields of the Knicks who's been a big surprise could be a candidate as well

Still No Rings For Queen James
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Quarter Awards   

Back to top Go down

First Quarter Awards
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next