Share | 

One change the Players Union Wants that I do agree with for the most part

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 3669

PostSubject: One change the Players Union Wants that I do agree with for the most part   Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:29 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5899152

The players union wants to get rid of the 1 year out of high school minimum age requirement. I am 100% behind that because players who are good enough to make an impact to the NBA right away should be allowed to play in the pros as soon as they can.

I don't think that they should just bring it back to the way it was completely per se. The NBA should have a minimum requirement in college beyond just one year. I personally like the Dickie V proposal which is make all college players stay in school for three years before going pro, but I can also live with a two year minimum. Allowing college players to leave after just one year is an insult to the NCAA, especially when we know that 20-30 of them each year will try to go pro... This gives college coaches some security with their recruits so the sexy recruiters like John Calipari at the Colonel's Coop and Thad Matta at Sweatervest U don't have to recruit everyone back onto the team after the NCAA Tournament, and then face probation, like Ohio State is in now due to NBA defections. If we can't have an age limit, there should perhaps be a limit of early entry candidates each year for the draft. Maybe no more than 15 players total can go pro early, and it should be determined by NBA scouts....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
Tar Heel
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 5845

PostSubject: Re: One change the Players Union Wants that I do agree with for the most part   Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:12 am

I like the idea of how you can turn pro out of high school if you want, but if you choose to go to college you have to stay for at least three years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: One change the Players Union Wants that I do agree with for the most part   Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:49 am

If you go to college I think you should have to go two years. Personally I hate the one and done rule.

If you are a high school player who wants to turn pro, I think the best idea would be to have to play the in D-League for a year with a 1 year NBDL contract and with no call ups to the NBA for that full NBDL season. NBDL teams would draft the high school players like they do with undrafted rookies and unsigned players already.

I works because even though they are getting NBDL salary the high school players that jump can still get endorsement money that would easily exceed the NBDL pay scale, which helps hardship cases.

I think It builds interest in the NBDL as well.

Well... it's an idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 8873

PostSubject: Re: One change the Players Union Wants that I do agree with for the most part   Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:09 am

I'd be more than willing to go with Nick C's idea

I think 2 years in College is good enough, and I think Nick C's idea is near perfect

Still No Rings For Queen James
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: One change the Players Union Wants that I do agree with for the most part   Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:41 am

combination of both? players who aren't drafted by the NBA can be drafted by the NBADL? and if they choose to go to college, they stay...either 2 or 3 years. baseball does 3 but basketball careers wear a lot more on a persons athleticism I think, so maybe just 2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 8873

PostSubject: Re: One change the Players Union Wants that I do agree with for the most part   Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:55 am

I think letting them get drafted to the D-League is a great idea letting them play a year of pro ball before joining the NBA and than letting NBA teams draft them from their previous knowledge of them in the D-League. I think like Brandon Jennings let them play a year overseas as well if they opt for that instead of College or the D-League. Seeing NBA players get drafted out of the D-League would be great exposure as thewiz06 touched on for the D-League. Only 1 D-Leaguer all-time Mike Taylor has ever been selected in the NBA Draft

It will make NCAA Basketball much better having stability for 2 years. It won't be a pain for College Coaches and won't be just a farm system for the NBA. I think 3 years is pushing them a bit too much and after the sophomore year if they're ready they're good.

Still No Rings For Queen James
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: One change the Players Union Wants that I do agree with for the most part   Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:38 pm

I like all of these suggestions. Even if they differ.

I think the point here is that we should start a new league.

Anyone got like... a billions dollars to get this rolling?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: One change the Players Union Wants that I do agree with for the most part   Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:57 pm

I do...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One change the Players Union Wants that I do agree with for the most part   

Back to top Go down

One change the Players Union Wants that I do agree with for the most part
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1