HomeHome  FAQFAQ  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  CalendarCalendar  

Share | 

LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 3669

PostSubject: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:04 am

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/12/23/lebron-james-nba-might-be-better-with-fewer-teams/

I agree with LeBron here that the talent is pretty spread out in this league. The league as it is, isn't very sustainable. There is an oligarchy of teams that are perennial contenders, a few teams that rarely ever make the playoffs, and the rest call a Conference Semifinals appearance a great achievement. And most of all, a lot of teams are losing money.

As much as I don't want to see contraction because it cuts jobs, and markets will lose the NBA, sometimes it's necessary in order for the league to survive.

Here are the pros for contraction:
1. The overall talent and play will be better for the whole league.
2. The teams left after contraction tend to be more financially secure either because they are profitable or because their owners have the resources.
3. For the players, perhaps there will be fewer games played in the Regular Season, and the playoffs will also be shorter. This could extend players' careers when you think about it.

My candidates for contraction would be based on these factors.:

1. Is the team in a market where the NBA doesn't seem to be popular as compared with other sports to the point where people don't come to NBA games?
2. Is the team in a shaky financial position?
3. Does this team perennially fail to have a fair number of winning seasons? Is the team getting lottery picks year in, year out, and fails to either develop these players and/or loses them to other teams? And does this make the team an unattractive market to free agents, which in turn only makes the team worse in the long run?

Here are my top six teams for Contraction, assuming the NBA wanted to go down to 24 teams. This will give the NBA two conferences of 12 teams, and they could have three divisions of four teams each or two divisions of six teams each. These teams would be considered for folding and their primary reason why they're selected.

1. New Orleans Hornets (ownership situation)
2. Memphis Grizzlies (poor box office attraction)
3. Los Angeles Clippers (perennial loser)
4. Toronto Raptors (lost 2 franchise players; unattractive team)
5. Charlotte Bobcats (poor box office attraction)
6. Washington Wizards (perennial loser)
7. Golden State Warriors (perennial loser)
8. Sacramento Kings (ownership financial situation)

Assuming the NBA folds the top six teams (Hornets, Grizz, Clips, Raps, Cats, and Wizards fold while the Warriors and Kings stay in business), the league could look like this:

Eastern

Atlantic Division (with the Wizards and Bobcats closing shop, the Southeast Division changes its name to the Atlantic since a team clearly not in the South is added.)
Atlanta Hawks
Philadelphia 76ers
Miami Heat
Orlando Magic

Central Division (Cleveland moves to the third division but it's otherwise the same division)
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Pistons
Indiana Pacers
Milwaukee Bucks

Northeast Division (This team is made up of three teams formerly known as the Atlantic Division, but it now becomes the Northeast, which is the most logical name given the make up here)
Boston Celtics
Cleveland Cavaliers
NY Knicks
NY Nets (after move to NYC)

WESTERN CONFERENCE
Northwest Division (essentially it's the same division as before with OKC moving to the Southwest)
Denver Nuggets
Minnesota Timberwolves
Portland Trail Blazers
Utah Jazz

Pacific Division (Same division as before but no more Clippers, or did anyone notice?)
Golden State Warriors
LA Lakers
Phoenix Suns
Sacramento Kings

Southwest Division (With Memphis and NOLA closing shop, the Thunder are added, and this division should be even more exciting than before. OKC also is in a more fitting geographical area too, so a win win for the teams in this division and for travel purposes.)
Dallas Mavs
Houston Rockets
OKC Thunder
San Antonio Spurs

There would be dispersal drafts for the six teams that fold and the teams that performed the worst would get the best players from those teams. So guys like Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, and so forth won't go to the Lakers. You'd be more likely to see them in Philly, Cleveland, etc. I have reasons why I placed the 8 teams where I did, but I won't go into them unless pressed why. I also won't go into why I kept the Wolves in business and in all the contraction talk, they are a candidate.

Yes, I posted the Wizards as a team to fold, but I'm doing it from an objective point of view, not the homer one....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:38 pm

How are the Kings less available for contraction than the Warriros? Our market is better than theirs, and when we play them, we fill half their arena, much the way the Laker fans fill half of ours. We have new owners are doing just fine financially, and we're perennially decent as far as attendance, despite the losing.

And I actually think the Clippers are doing better than the Kings as an overall organization, even with the idiot Donald Sterling at the head. The Kings must be in the bottom 3. Their fans suck, their team sucks, and their market sucks. Their owners care, but they have plenty of other financial prospects, and this one isn't doing well for them.

That being said, I'd miss them because they're our rival.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chosen One
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 3316

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:50 pm

I also agree

I mean it gets really annoying to see the same team at the bottom of the division each year.....getting good draft picks only to keep losing next year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 8873

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:01 pm

I actually don't like the idea of contraction. It would make for stronger teams but I don't like it for different reasons as much as I like to see quality competition

I don't like the idea because the bottom of the bench guys and some guys that worked their butts off in the D-League or in Europe to make it to the league would be out of a job

I like the amount of teams the way it is because it gets guys in the league who worked their tails off to chase their dream of playing in the NBA to make it

If they contract teams those guys would be out of a job

Still No Rings For Queen James
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:52 pm

This is 100% to try to justify his decision to go to Miami...does anybody really think Lebron gives a fuck about how many teams there are? He just wants to seem like less of a bitch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:36 pm

LeBron doesn't know shit about what exactly a contraction would result in.

Whether it was intentional or not, he's now aligned himself against the players union and with the front office. The union is fighting contraction, but now Stern and the owners have something like this from one of its star players to work off of.

The only reason teams are losing money is because of poor ownership.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:58 pm

somethings got to give,teams or players salary...the NBA doesnt wanna become like a mini-america. and im pro-player not pro-fans so i vote for cutting teams
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:08 pm

toronto and washington? big markets...dumb idea,wiz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:10 pm

I agree with both Ryan and Raza.

From Lebron's quote it sounds like he wants to justify his decision to go to Miami and it's more of a "hey look other guys have superstars too" type statement. How would he know everything about the 80s like he seems to have said? he was born in 1984.

He want the league to contract so his Miami decision looks better in the publics eyes and he can use the "oh look other teams have superstars too" excuse.

Contraction would hurt the NBA marketing wise too.

The people of Seattle were furious to have a team relocated and we heard them let it be known. Imagine 6-8 other cities losing their NBA teams. It would hurt NBA Basketball in that city and the NBA would lose alot of fans in those cities where contraction takes place.

And as I said my biggest grief is those roster spots now due to the 30 teams being in the league that are being given to players who work their behinds off to get into the NBA and acheive their dreams.

A product of capitalism would be contracting teams so its limited to superstars and already highly overpaid stars.

Id like to see them keep available roster spots so we can see players that worked their way into the league and busted their tail to get here get their chances on an NBA roster. It's taken some players years in the D-League, or in International League to get to the NBA almost half their careers for some and contraction would cut their NBA careers and they'd be career D-Leaguers and European League players again. The biggest aspect of a union is it helps the average and minimum wage worker. I'd hate for contraction to cut more people that worked their butts off to get to the NBA out of their NBA jobs with a tougher chance to make it back

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:34 pm

This wouldn't hurt the NBA marketing wise. It could only help. those people in seattle still watch the NBA. And About "the players who work there butts off"..I don't think something so minor even comes up when discussing something like this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:39 pm

Everybody should make the playoffs!

not serious...at all :/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:53 pm

The Future wrote:
toronto and washington? big markets...dumb idea,wiz

Well Visa, Toronto and Washington are big markets. Toronto has a metro area of about 6 million people. Washington has over 5 million, and if you combine Baltimore, this metro area has over 8 million. Yes, DC is a huge market. But here's why Toronto could be a "foldable" team:

1. Lost Vince Carter and Chris Bosh. They never seem to be able to retain the talent they get. Perhaps it's because American basketball players don't want to play in Canada, even though Canadians like basketball.
2. Canadians like basketball, but they love ice hockey.

To the Raps' credit, they have made the playoffs a number of times in their 15 year history and if there's a good team in Toronto, they will fill up the stands.

Here's why Washington is a foldable team.
1. The perennial loser thing is part of it. The Wizards haven't won 50 games since 1978-79 when the core of Wes Unseld, Elvin Hayes, Bobby Dandridge, Kevin Grevey, and Mitch Kupchak won the Eastern Conference and lost to the Sonics.
2. Attendance at Wizards games haven't been spectacular considering how large the market is.
3. Wizards can't attract talent or at least retain it. How many big time free agents came to Washington DC besides MJ? A number of Wizards players didn't pan out here and have become quite successful elsewhere. Kwame was a bust because he had no initiative. Rip, Sheed, and Ben Wallace were all traded out of town for other players who never played well here, but those three ended up having great careers most notably in Detroit.
4. Washington DC is a great basketball city in the playgrounds and black tops that has produced many NBA stars, but almost none of the talent in this area and our region wants to come and play for the Wizards in their prime. David Robinson lived in Northern Virginia, went to the Naval Academy which is in the DC area, and only played for the Spurs; Allen Iverson lived in Hampton, VA and he never said he wanted to perhaps play for the local DC fans; Grant Hill is from Reston, VA and never wanted to play here; Melo's contract is up this year and he doesn't want to play for the Wizards though his hometown is Baltimore; Michael Beasley and KD are two current local players who may be free agents in coming seasons, but I don't see them contemplating playing for this team either. And Washington is a great city to live in but for whatever reason we just can't attract talent.
5. DC is a very transient area. People from all over the country live in the area due to federal government jobs, and these people (and their children) root for some other team than the Wizards.

The devil's advocate here is that Abe Pollin ran this team for over 45 years, and some of his penny pinching later on and some of the ways he ran his business just weren't with the times. But Ted and his crew have also owned a large part of this team for over 10 years. It's not like he had no input in the direction of this team. They were instrumental in getting MJ here.

But to get to the main point on folding teams and deciding who should go and who shouldn't... I personally wouldn't want to see any teams fold since it removes jobs. But a number of teams are facing financial problems or are just perennially unattractive and are meddling performance wise on the court, in the stands in otherwise good markets. The ranking on which teams should fold is kind of there for "shock value" as well so you know.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:20 am

King Of NJ wrote:

Contraction would hurt the NBA marketing wise too.

The people of Seattle were furious to have a team relocated and we heard them let it be known. Imagine 6-8 other cities losing their NBA teams. It would hurt NBA Basketball in that city and the NBA would lose alot of fans in those cities where contraction takes place.

I agree with that too that contraction would hurt the NBA in the short term at the very least. But in at least Seattle's case, the city's reluctance to help finance a new arena for the Sonics and the Storm contributed to ownership moving the teams. You could also argue that the owners were gonna move them out regardless, but considerable efforts were made by the owners, and to make a long story short, the state and local governments weren't warm to the idea anyway, but that's partly because the governments financed the Mariners' and the Seahawks' new stadiums which were also very expensive recently.... But I wouldn't want the league to contract a team only because it wasn't competitive perennially. If the owners have their way, there would be a hard cap, and that would even the playing field considerably. Look at the NHL.
Back to top Go down
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:13 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/LeBron-didn-t-mean-contraction-when-talking-ab?urn=nba-300875

Lebron just back tracked on his comments now he's saying he didn't imply there was contraction

Common Lebron what you meant was obvious this just sounds dumb

He needs to stay out of the media and stay silent to try to repair his image

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:20 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:16 pm

See, what Raza said was completely right. What LeBron did not realize is that this would alienate him from the players' union, so he had to either cross a line or step back and retract his comments. I don't think he necessarily disagrees with what he really said, he just did not realize the political implications of it. And he definitely knows what contraction means.

He's trying to have everything both ways, and it really isn't working for him. Something that might: keeping his mouth shut for a month and letting the way the Heat are playing talk for him. All the stuff that he keeps talking about is overshadowing their great streak a little bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:02 pm

Contraction=he can keep making big time money lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:41 pm

No contraction please. I like cleveland having a team.

SG Aaron Afflalo
PG Ramon Sessions
6. F Matt Barnes
7. G Norris Cole
8. G/F Xavier Henry
9. C Omar Asik
10. C Hamed Haddidi
11. G Jordan Hamilton
12. G Darius Morris
--------------------------------
This is what Raza chooses to do with his mod powers:
[01:07:13] @ Raza : /molests the fuck outta john
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:26 pm

Lebron would feel like shit if clevelands team got taken away right after he left lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:36 pm

I've said this for a long time.

This league is watered down.

Drop the Bobcats and Memphis and Toronto... Screw it.

This should be a 28 team league or less.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Female Posts : 10793

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:10 pm

Hey!
Leave the Raptors alone!
That is the only Canadian NBA team left! lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:45 pm

I think it would be fine if the talent was spread more throughout the NBA. Even with contraction there'd still be bad teams.

Its that the talent lacks in todays NBA more than there's too many teams.

The Heat have 3 superstars, the league would be alot more balanced without that and that's why I though "The Decision" was something that hurt the NBA. It takes away from the competitive balance more.

I thought Avery Johnson's response to Lebron James was absolutely perfect and right on the money about what's right for the league.

You look at the expansion teams of the 1990s when they were added and you look at the Raptors in their expansion year took BJ Armstrong from an already stacked Bulls team and Tony Massemburg 2nd. The Grizzlies took Greg Anthony and Rodney Dent. It didn't water down the NBA or the competition really.

Its not as if the Raptors took a cast load of crappy players and took Karl Malone off the Jazz to play for them.

I think the league is fine.

Lebron contradicted is own statement. He wants contraction just so he can make more for himself and so he can justify his decision to play with the Miami Heat. Lebron's selfish. His comments about contraction were for the good of himself and not the league. He's bs-ing his behind off saying he didn't know what contraction means when he said the NBA should be shrunk

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:26 pm

Ginobili! wrote:
Hey!
Leave the Raptors alone!
That is the only Canadian NBA team left! lol

True.

Okay. The Boston Celtics then. lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SO6P [KING]
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:44 am

King James, speaking the truth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.   

Back to top Go down

LeBron James implies that the NBA should contract: I actually agree with him.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1