Share | 

Superlatives in Basketball for 2010 in my opinion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 3669

PostSubject: Superlatives in Basketball for 2010 in my opinion   Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:11 am

For me, here are my superlatives in basketball for 2010!

Team of the Year: UConn Women's Basketball Team

Why: They won the 2010 National Championship capping off a second straight undefeated season with a second straight 39-0 record. The Huskies went on to win their first 12 games of the 2010-2011 season and lost today to Stanford, 71-59 on the road. 90 game winning streak, a Division I record, well above the 2nd highest mark of 70 games in a row, also set by the Huskies.

Coach of the Year: Mike Krzyzewski, Duke men's basketball and USA senior men's basketball

Why: Duke was a Top 10 program all season during 2009-2010, but it was widely expected that John Wall would lead Kentucky to the national championship game, or that Kansas would rock chalk to the top. People expected Duke to lose before the Final Four, plain and simple. Sure, some upsets happened, but at the end of the day, the Devils survived and advanced, and won the games they had to win, earning Coach K his 4th national title. Later on this season, he became the 2nd winningest men's college coach, surpassing the legendary Dean Smith and only behind Bob Knight, his own head coach at the US Military Academy (Army/West Point).

Well in the summer, Coach K led a group of mostly young NBA players, none of whom were on the 2008 Olympic team, to win the FIBA World Championship, and a number of games were close, including the 2 point squeaker against Brazil. Either way, it's a damn good thing to win the NCAA title, AND the FIBA title just months apart.

The New Sexy Team on the Block : Butler University men's basketball team

Why:
Butler was expected to be a decent team this year, and they have made Sweet 16's in recent years. But few expected this team to be advancing past the Sweet 16 this year; few expected them to be playing in the Final Four, in their hometown, to play in the championship game. Hell, few people in Indiana thought Butler would do it. But Butler wasn't that surprised. Gordon Hayward and Shelvin Mack were integral pieces to the U-19 USA Basketball team that won the 2009 World Championship.

The Disgraced Team on the Block: North Carolina men's basketball team

Why: After the 2009 National Championship season led by Tyler Hansbrough, as well as three additional starters who graduated or left for more money, this season was gonna be somewhat of a rebuild, but with a strong recruiting class coming in, they should have still remained good enough for another NCAA run. The 2005-2006 team (or Tyler's freshman season) was in my opinion, probably Roy Williams' best year coaching-wise after a similar roster turnover. Well, this time things didn't work out so well. The Heels managed a 16-16 regular season, and were given a 4 seed in the NIT, which probably shouldn't have happened, given that a number of teams like Northeastern, Tulsa, and William and Mary all had better seasons though they play in lesser leagues. The Heels struggled to beat William and Mary in the 1st round, and never had a solid victory throughout the NIT, where they advanced to the Final and lost to Dayton.

Well, this season also doesn't look great at least right now. Despite another great class (though they had some turnover as well), the Tar Heels are 9-4, which include two straight losses in their Puerto Rican tourney. They did beat Kentucky, to their credit, but either way, it's safe to say that when the Heels failed to get in the Big Dance, aren't ranked right now, AND Coach K just eclipsed Dean Smith on the All time wins list, well, 2010 was a forgettable year for the Heels.

The One Hit Wonder: John Wall

Why: Everyone thought John Wall was the best player in college basketball, and he certainly was a one man fast break, leading Kentucky to an Elite Eight.

Most people were banking on Wall being the 1st draft pick in the 2010 NBA draft. Many were hoping that maybe he'd go to a team like the New Jersey Nets where he can sip cristal with Jay Z in Brooklyn, the Sixers where he'd be AI with a passing mentality. or perhaps be a makeup pick for Minny where the fanbase could relive the height of the KG era. Instead he ended up in Washington...

Since his dougie at the home opener, and a triple double against Houston, Wall hasn't really been talked about, given that another player still dominated the spotlight though for the wrong reasons. Sure, it's partly because he missed half of the games this year, but the Wizards fill up the stands worse than the Mystics sometimes right now even with John Wall. The only rookie worth seeing so far happens to be Blake Griffin who we forgot about last year, and he plays in a "better market".

Underappreciated Pro Team of the Year: Seattle Storm

Why:
The Storm tied a WNBA record 28-6 in the regular season and won the 2010 championship, and the 2nd championship in team history. They also were undefeated at home for the entire season including the playoffs. However, it's "only the WNBA", and most people don't care nationally, but perhaps the Storm is gaining fans given that they have two of the top players in the world and are the only pro basketball team in town.

Overhyped Pro team of the year: Miami Heat
Why:

Sure they may win the championship later this season, but there was so much talk about 73-9 before they went to training camp

The Dumbass of the Year: Gilbert Arenas
Why:

That cost him his place with the Washington Wizards.

The Asshole of the year: LeBron James

Why: He took his talents to South Beach without the courtesy of letting someone withing the Cavs organization knowing about it. Sure, he can leave, that's fine. But don't leave the way you did.

The "What should I do" commercial also made him look even more villainous than he already made himself....

The Man Who Did What He Should Do Award: Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Why:

If the asshole above him wrote this down, he wouldn't have been booed as much.

Best Ownership Influenced Decision: Washington Wizards sold to Ted Leonsis and adopt new philosophy of building young while he was still a minority owner

Why:
Because Ted is more awesome than the other new majority owners of NBA teams, especially in a year where multiple teams changed hands.

If the Pollins still owned 100% of the Wizards and Ted didn't this past February, I wouldn't have been the least surprised if Antawn and/or Caron were still in a Wizards jersey in April.

Worst Ownership Influenced Decision: Washington Mystics fire GM and Head Coach after a banner season

Why: Your team was heading in the right direction, #1 seed in the playoffs too. Why?!!! And Ted owns the team!

Last edited by thewiz06 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:15 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
moshemcrib (sackingsrule)
College Baller
College Baller

Male Posts : 127

PostSubject: Re: Superlatives in Basketball for 2010 in my opinion   Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:20 am

YES

Last edited by moshemcrib (sackingsrule) on Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/moshemcrib
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 5078

PostSubject: Re: Superlatives in Basketball for 2010 in my opinion   Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:49 am

moshemcrib (sackingsrule) wrote:
THIS COUNTS TOO!!!! http://allball.blogs.nba.com/2010/12/30/tyreke-evans-how-do-you-rate-on-the-horry-scale-do-we-even-need-to-ask/

...it's a fucking disgrace to compare Tyreke Evans to Robert Horry because he made one amazing shot. I know there was no direct comparison in that article, but seriously, Tyreke Evans made an incredible, amazing, blow-your-mind shot that won't make a difference on their overall record, because, in all likelihood, the Kings will be the worst team or at least one of the worst teams at the end of this season. Robert Horry made a handful of un-spectacular buzzer-beaters, but the situations he made his shots in were in playoff situations. Put it this way: anyone can throw up a half-court heave at the buzzer and get lucky and get it in once in awhile (Corey Brewer and Devin Harris both hit half-court buzzer beaters last season...it's not like we haven't seen this ever before), but very, very few people can hit a game-winning shot, in a playoff situation, by creating their own shot. I'm not trying to downplay Evans' shot, it's surely the shot of the year so far, but even mentioning that shot in the same sentence as Robert Horry is just downright disgraceful. So enjoy this shot while it matters, Kings fans, maybe your team will get better in 2011, maybe it won't, but this shot has no meaning towards your season.

Anyways. Your post doesn't even relate to anything that thewiz06 posted in the first place. There isn't a single "award" that has anything to do with "shot of the year". So yeah, it was an amazing shot, but posting it in random threads is ridiculous and to an extent it's trolling. I sound like a pompous asshole right now overreacting to a single post, which I am, but please don't go around posting it in random threads.

Oh, what am I kidding. I'm a fucking hypocrite...I spammed the whole thread dedicated to that damn shot. Screw it all. Post it as many times as you want, anywhere you want. I'M GOING INSANEEEE!!!

Uh, back to the actual awards. A lot of these awards seem to have been awarded to something related to Washington D.C., so the voters seem a little suspicious to me (lol), but aside from a little bias most of these awards are correct, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
College Baller
College Baller

PostSubject: Re: Superlatives in Basketball for 2010 in my opinion   Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:28 am

404: NOT FOUND

Last edited by moshemcrib (sackingsrule) on Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Superlatives in Basketball for 2010 in my opinion   Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:30 am

No Longer DEAD wrote:
THIS COUNTS TOO!!!! http://allball.blogs.nba.com/2010/12/30/tyreke-evans-how-do-you-rate-on-the-horry-scale-do-we-even-need-to-ask/

...it's a fucking disgrace to compare Tyreke Evans to Robert Horry because he made one amazing shot. I know there was no direct comparison in that article, but seriously, Tyreke Evans made an incredible, amazing, blow-your-mind shot that won't make a difference on their overall record, because, in all likelihood, the Kings will be the worst team or at least one of the worst teams at the end of this season. Robert Horry made a handful of un-spectacular buzzer-beaters, but the situations he made his shots in were in playoff situations. Put it this way: anyone can throw up a half-court heave at the buzzer and get lucky and get it in once in awhile (Corey Brewer and Devin Harris both hit half-court buzzer beaters last season...it's not like we haven't seen this ever before), but very, very few people can hit a game-winning shot, in a playoff situation, by creating their own shot. I'm not trying to downplay Evans' shot, it's surely the shot of the year so far, but even mentioning that shot in the same sentence as Robert Horry is just downright disgraceful. So enjoy this shot while it matters, Kings fans, maybe your team will get better in 2011, maybe it won't, but this shot has no meaning towards your season.

ur right, i did post that in a random place. but. robert horry is not a great by any means, as tim betongames can testify to. half of those shots were rigged, but i dont feel like arguing right now. maybe another time
Anyways. Your post doesn't even relate to anything that thewiz06 posted in the first place. There isn't a single "award" that has anything to do with "shot of the year". So yeah, it was an amazing shot, but posting it in random threads is ridiculous and to an extent it's trolling. I sound like a pompous asshole right now overreacting to a single post, which I am, but please don't go around posting it in random threads.

Oh, what am I kidding. I'm a fucking hypocrite...I spammed the whole thread dedicated to that damn shot. Screw it all. Post it as many times as you want, anywhere you want. I'M GOING INSANEEEE!!!

Uh, back to the actual awards. A lot of these awards seem to have been awarded to something related to Washington D.C., so the voters seem a little suspicious to me (lol), but aside from a little bias most of these awards are correct, in my opinion.

...why'd you quote me and not say anything? scratch

EDIT: Oh, I see what you did. No one ever said Robert Horry was great...he's the farthest thing from a complete basketball player. But he hit as many clutch shots as anyone else did, rigged or not. Tyreke isn't exactly "great" himself - as his 38% FG can testify to - he had a great season last year, but this year, team's have adopted to his rather one-dimensional style of play: attack the basket. The man can't shoot to save his life, there's no disputing that.

But I'm not here to bash Tyreke. I'm here to tell you that Tyreke Evans has a lot of potential in his young career, but no way in hell can any of his shots be compared to Robert Horry's, and no way in hell can he be considered a "great" player yet - in any facet of the game. Robert Horry wasn't a great player, but he was arguably the best clutch shooter of all-time. 'Reke's shot was fantastic, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Last edited by No Longer DEAD on Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
College Baller
College Baller

PostSubject: Re: Superlatives in Basketball for 2010 in my opinion   Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:34 am

Last edited by moshemcrib (sackingsrule) on Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
College Baller
College Baller

PostSubject: Re: Superlatives in Basketball for 2010 in my opinion   Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:37 am

Last edited by moshemcrib (sackingsrule) on Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Superlatives in Basketball for 2010 in my opinion   Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:39 am

...I caught what you said. Read above, I edited my post.

But please don't delete your posts. I'd looooove to hear your arguments. 🐰
Back to top Go down
View user profile
College Baller
College Baller

PostSubject: Re: Superlatives in Basketball for 2010 in my opinion   Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:42 am

No Longer DEAD wrote:
No Longer DEAD wrote:

ur right, i did post that in a random place. but. robert horry is not a great by any means, as tim betongames can testify to. half of those shots were rigged, but i dont feel like arguing right now. maybe another time

...why'd you quote me and not say anything? scratch

EDIT: Oh, I see what you did. No one ever said Robert Horry was great...he's the farthest thing from a complete basketball player. But he hit as many clutch shots as anyone else did, rigged or not. Tyreke isn't exactly "great" himself - as his 38% FG can testify to - he had a great season last year, but this year, team's have adopted to his rather one-dimensional style of play: attack the basket. The man can't shoot to save his life, there's no disputing that.

But I'm not here to bash Tyreke. I'm here to tell you that Tyreke Evans has a lot of potential in his young career, but no way in hell can any of his shots be compared to Robert Horry's, and no way in hell can he be considered a "great" player yet - in any facet of the game. Robert Horry wasn't a great player, but he was arguably the best clutch shooter of all-time. 'Reke's shot was fantastic, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

fair enough, but we are COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC, so can we agree to at least not continue this here
Back to top Go down
College Baller
College Baller

PostSubject: Re: Superlatives in Basketball for 2010 in my opinion   Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:44 am

No Longer DEAD wrote:

and i looooove to see ur siganture image before it was doctored
Back to top Go down
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Superlatives in Basketball for 2010 in my opinion   Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:59 am

No Longer DEAD wrote:

and i looooove to see ur siganture image before it was doctored

You would love to see it, or you just love to see it in general?

Because I'd be just fine showing you this image before it was doctored (btw, it's really creepy that you brought that up in the first place...going off topic is fine, but that's just flat-out weird. WEIRD MAN. WEIRD.)

Anyway, if you really want to further continue this conversation, just PM me instead of posting irrelevant shit from the asshole of God.

@thewiz06: what do you think about the Redskins' future? I know they underperformed this season, but speculation is that McNabb wants out and Rex Grossman starting really doesn't help the cause. What's goin on over there?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 3669

PostSubject: Re: Superlatives in Basketball for 2010 in my opinion   Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:24 pm

No Longer DEAD wrote:

@thewiz06: what do you think about the Redskins' future? I know they underperformed this season, but speculation is that McNabb wants out and Rex Grossman starting really doesn't help the cause. What's goin on over there?

I have no idea what's going on in Ashburn or FedEx for that matter.

Not at all surprised if Donovan wants to leave DC, because at least one of the Shannies clearly disrespected him, and it looks like they didn't tailor the system to his strengths as much as they could have. Mike Shanahan also mishandled Albert Haynesworth by not trading him out of town or releasing him before this season, where he's been a cancer. The Skins are probably two or three years away from being a perennial contender, assuming they trade some of their players for additional picks in next year's draft, and adjust the system to fit player's strengths even if there was a change in offensive and/or defensive philosophy. That didn't happen this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
Abdulâ„¢
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 2595

PostSubject: Re: Superlatives in Basketball for 2010 in my opinion   Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:17 pm

This is good but you need to take Wall out and put Blake Griffin there Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Superlatives in Basketball for 2010 in my opinion   

Back to top Go down

Superlatives in Basketball for 2010 in my opinion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1