HomeHome  FAQFAQ  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  CalendarCalendar  

Share | 

Should the NBA give an award for the team with the best regular season record?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Yes
60%
 60% [ 3 ]
No
40%
 40% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 3669

PostSubject: Should the NBA give an award for the team with the best regular season record?   Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:12 am

The NBA regular season is 82 games long, and to get into the playoffs, a team must win a lot of games, and the more you win in the regular season, the more likely you'll have favorable matchups to get a championship. Among the MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL, only the NHL has such an award for the team that gets the best regular season record in the league, which they call the President's Trophy (the Caps are the defending Trophy holders).

I think an award should be given for this accomplishment. Sure, we can argue that the playoff championship means more, and that it's the second season (or the real season). But the first season has to mean something too besides favorable matchups in the 1st round of the playoffs. NBA, NHL, MLB, and NFL teams all give out awards and banners for a team winning their divisions, which all have the best regular season. If the regular season doesn't count, well, why even have division championship banners? To me, it does make sense to give an award for the best regular season in the NBA (and all the pro leagues to be honest).

Hypothetically, let's call it the David Stern Commissioner's Trophy, in honor of the commish who's been the caretaker of the league since the beginning of the Jordan era. Since 2000, the winners of the Commissioner's Trophy would have been:

1999-2000: LA Lakers (NBA Finals Champs)
2000-2001: San Antonio Spurs (lost in 2nd round)
2001-2002: Sacramento Kings (lost in Western Conf. Finals)
2002-2003: San Antonio Spurs (NBA Finals Champs)
2003-2004: Indiana Pacers (lost in Eastern Conf. Finals)
2004-2005: Phoenix Suns (lost in Western Conf. Finals)
2005-2006: Detroit Pistons (lost in Eastern Conf. Finals)
2006-2007: Dallas Mavericks (lost in the 1st round)
2007-2008: Boston Celtics (NBA Finals Champs)
2008-2009: Cleveland Cavaliers (lost in Eastern Conf. Finals)
2009-2010: Cleveland Cavaliers (lost in the 2nd round)
2010-2011: San Antonio Spurs (assuming they win at their current rate)

Sure, this isn't the same as winning the playoffs, but I honestly do believe a trophy and a banner should be awarded to a team with the best regular season record.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
Mo
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 1066

PostSubject: Re: Should the NBA give an award for the team with the best regular season record?   Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:38 am

I definitely think their should be as well. I think it takes a complete team and just dominance to be the top winning team of the season, and it should be awarded. Some teams are great season teams, but when it gets to the post-season, nothing can be done, and I think this would be a great way to award them for it. It would be a good idea, but the only way it would happen if it were to be adopted by the NFL and MLB as well. NHL has it since the records are so wild throughout the whole season with ties and stuff that nobody will ever have the same record and a lot of teams in the NBA, NFL (especially), and MLB manage to finish with the same records so it would be hard awarding.

I think it's a great idea overall though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Should the NBA give an award for the team with the best regular season record?   Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:46 am

They do.

It's called home court advantage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Abdulâ„¢
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 2595

PostSubject: Re: Should the NBA give an award for the team with the best regular season record?   Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:57 am

Raza wrote:
They do.

It's called home court advantage.

+1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 3669

PostSubject: Re: Should the NBA give an award for the team with the best regular season record?   Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:13 am

All teams with the best regular season records have home field/court/ice advantage, but that's not a banner on the wall. It's just a seed in the playoffs and should the team not get the playoff championship, the team will pout like the season was a total failure from top to bottom without taking any consideration about how the regular season went. The Caps last year lost in the 1st round to an 8 seed with a regular season losing record. They were disappointed yes, but we are also happy that we were still able to put themselves in position to have home ice for the Stanley cup playoffs, and getting the trophy is a tangible thing where everyone knows how you did. I wouldn't mind this in baseball and the NFL either. If there are ties (esp in football, let two teams share the trophy). I think with a trophy like this on the line we can see more competitive games toward the end of the NBA season. In hockey, everyone fights for points and certainly won't mind getting the President's Trophy even if there's no Stanley Cup with it.

NHL teams that win the President's Trophy but not the Stanley Cup do get ridicule too, like the 2006-07 Mavs would've gotten if they got a trophy for their great season. The 2008-09 an 2009-10 Cavs teams' accomplishments wouldn't be put to waste completely (they do have the division banners, but I just don't think that's enough for regular season because then we could have divisional playoffs). Yeah, they did win the division, but they pretty much beat the entire NBA when you think about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Should the NBA give an award for the team with the best regular season record?   Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:52 pm

thewiz06 wrote:
It's just a seed in the playoffs and should the team not get the playoff championship, the team will pout like the season was a total failure from top to bottom without taking any consideration about how the regular season went.

It pretty much is. If your team is good enough to win the most games out of any other team in your league, anything under the championship is a disappointment. You could go 82-0 in the regular season, but if you lose in the first round to the 8th seed, why does it matter what you did in the regular season? Your season is a disappointment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SO6P [KING]
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Should the NBA give an award for the team with the best regular season record?   Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:07 pm

This post is very stupid.

They already get a reward.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Should the NBA give an award for the team with the best regular season record?   Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:29 pm

King wrote:
This post is very stupid.

They already get a reward.
your stupid. And he said award..not reward
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Male Posts : 14149

PostSubject: Re: Should the NBA give an award for the team with the best regular season record?   Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:33 pm

hahahahahahaha @ reward

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should the NBA give an award for the team with the best regular season record?   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1