Share | 

League and the Players Union still far apart on Labor Deal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 3669

PostSubject: League and the Players Union still far apart on Labor Deal   Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:27 pm

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/06/21/asch-labor-negotiations/

We inch closer toward July 1, when there's expected to be a lockout that would likely cancel at least part of the 2011-2012 season.

The league has backed off somewhat from its stance of a hard cap, calling it a "flex cap", where teams could go past the limit but can never go past a certain threshold. The players union still wants the system as is. The league also however will allow the contracts to be guaranteed in at least some form.

I know most of us just want to see basketball, but I think the league is reasonable in its approach. I've still yet to see anything that the players union wants besides the status quo, plus perhaps more leaguewide revenue sharing.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Male Posts : 14149

PostSubject: Re: League and the Players Union still far apart on Labor Deal   Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:31 am

lockout here we come Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 5401

PostSubject: Re: League and the Players Union still far apart on Labor Deal   Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:06 am

yay. that should help Celtics in the long run. like!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

PostSubject: Re: League and the Players Union still far apart on Labor Deal   Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:18 pm

The teams that I think benefit from the hard cap (even if there's a flex in there) would include:

1. Oklahoma (salary is low right now, wouldn't have to explode in the next couple years because most of the core is on a rookie contract)
2. Wizards (ownership is among the biggest advocates for an NHL system; good players go to where money is, and the Wizards have space)
3. Clippers (owner is also thrifty; the other team in LA is tied up financially, so if players want to come to LA, this is the destination, not to mention Blake Griffin)

Teams that stand to lose:

1. Lakers - salary next yr is bound to be above any threshhold of a hard cap. Team blow up is imminent and even then the team may still be unable to have much cap room. Three players would already get paid close to the flex level if not exceed it.
2. Heat - same reason as Lakers. They won't have to blow up, but they have no room to maneuver, unless we see rollbacks in salary.
3. Orlando - Gilbert Arenas

At least it's nice to see that all the owners are for some cap, regardless of their own individual situations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

PostSubject: Re: League and the Players Union still far apart on Labor Deal   Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:20 pm

what would the cap be?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

PostSubject: Re: League and the Players Union still far apart on Labor Deal   Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:22 pm

last NBA owners proposal was 62 million was the flex level. Teams could use some form of the MLE and Bird rights to go past this level, but they can't go past some threshhold, which has yet to be determined. I'd say a team shouldn't be able to pay past 15% over the cap ($71.3 million), which I think is generous, 10% is more desirable.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

PostSubject: Re: League and the Players Union still far apart on Labor Deal   Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:27 pm

wallshingtonwizard wrote:
last NBA owners proposal was 62 million was the flex level. Teams could use some form of the MLE and Bird rights to go past this level, but they can't go past some threshhold, which has yet to be determined. I'd say a team shouldn't be able to pay past 15% over the cap ($71.3 million), which I think is generous, 10% is more desirable.

sounds good to me.

I personally don't have a proble with what the owners are asking for.

The players want long contracts with lots of money and it all has to be guaranteed, and they don't want a hard cap so they can sign for however much money they want with the team they are on.

The owners are willing to let the players have the guaranteed contracts, and maybe the length. but they want some sort of cap, and less money on contracts.

Who sounds more greedy here?

Players are gonna get paid no matter what. But a lot of teams are losing money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: League and the Players Union still far apart on Labor Deal   

Back to top Go down

League and the Players Union still far apart on Labor Deal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1